Tuesday, April 04, 2006

BANGKOK ROCK 100..Rocks!

18-19 Feb.2006, Brits finest (and not so fine but I won't give names ) bands played their inaugural gig in South East Asia `s virgin attempt at having Asia `s "Glastonsbury" - BKK ROCK100. Bands like Placebo, Oasis, Snow Patrol, Franz Ferdinand ( Yeay!), Ian Brown ( solo), Maximo Park and The Futureheads rock the Muang Thongthani ground from 6pm up to midnight during the weekends. Me and hubby were actually BROKE from a family trip that we have to "succumbed" to ( out of respect, they are my in-laws) but we also know we can't miss this. We chose the cheaper route to Bangkok- 24 hours train ride plus cheap accommodation at a guesthouse (that surprisingly have nice rooms fir for people with extra cash). We made it to the concert, clean and fresh and I guess that mattered the most because we were damn ready to rock!

All I can say, it was a good concert despite the difficulties we faced in getting there. Eventhough we master the subway and skytrain system in 2 hours upon our arrival, the closest stop to Muang Thongthani still required another 30-40 mins journey with cab. The sound system was good though I don't know why I felt a bit frustrated with Franz Ferdinand`s performance. Maybe they were a bit tired from their previous gig in Singapore but still, I think they were damn energetic. Paul ( my favorite ff, showed off his skills at the drum and outdid Mr Kopranos too). I thought Oasis was great though I am not their biggest fan. My eyes rolled whenever Liam stood motionless and pretend to be bored by the cheering of his fans ( his signature on stage style)...Oh, the ego! Snow Patrol and Placebo also played well and most of us were singing along with Gary Lightbrody, minus the lighters (which was an essential euqipment for moments like THAT) except for one Thai lady that brought with her a fluorescent stick and waved it, all alone from our seating area...Hurrah for her!

My regret was only the fact that I did'nt get to catch The Futureheads.They didn't get enough limelight as Maximo Park despite the fact that I think their neat-sharp-punk-new wave sound would be much more interesting "LIVE". And of course, don't forget Ian Brown, Stoneroses `s former lead, he was surely unforgetable in his shiny fuhscia tracksuits and almost-aerobic movements. He sang two Bob Marley `s songs- one is "Redemption Song", another one I forget the title, to the amused crowd who gotten over their curiosity over Ian `s choice of song and sang together with him.

I definitely, definitely want the festival to be held again next year, in Bangkok or not. And oh, I have my dream list too. If you check out the Bkk Rock100 Community Board, you will see lots of fans listing their fave bands for next year `s line up. here `s mine:-

Otai Bands
1. Muse
2. Weezer
3. The Cranberries
4. Belle & Sebastian (not that "otai" actually, but I just love them)


"Would-be Otai" Bands
1. Bloc Party
2. Keane
3. Arctic Monkeys


Non-Brits Special Appearances
1. Arcade Fire
2. Wolf Parade ( ignore the coincidence that both 1 & 2 are from Canada and shared drummers)
3. Any of the Elelphant 6 Collective surviving bands- Neutral Milk Hotel (?), Apples In The Stereo, Oliver Tremor Control etc
4. Oh..ok, The Strokes, if they must.

Looking forward to Bkk Rock festival 2007!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home