Tuesday, April 04, 2006

From Montreal To Hyderabad

It has been EONS and EONS ago since I last spill my guts, worries and silly reflections in this blog a lot of things that took place in my life since end of August deserves some write-up but I was too busy being busy that everything just slipped out of my control. Hardly.

2005 finally comes to its end. Bush opted not to repent over his war against terror magna-disasters, 14 WTO protestors got arrested in HK and manhandled brutally by the police, Sufjan Steven hailed 2005 `s list of best albums with "Illinois" ( I don't really like the album), Sagong Tasi case overturned archaic precedent on Orang Asli`s right to land, we have a local musical production of "Cinderella" and the list of happenings go on.

Come what may, level of Orang Asli `s poverty is still troubling, squatter `s areas are still a major attraction to "guided" arsonists, CSI: Miami is still better than CSI: New York, (on that matter: Jonathan Togo still is better looking than that Szmanda-guy), Haruki Murakami is still too metaphisically challenging for me, King Kong 2005 awed me more than King Kong 1933 ( Well, Jackson awed me more than any of the "King Kongs" cause he lost weight alot) and Coldplay`s X & Y is still a sad case of an overhyped and overly anticipated album of the year.

What happened to me last month? I went to Hyderabad for a wonderful workshop on justpeace education, met a lot of great people who humbled me to the core. Compared to my stay in Mumbai, I survived Hyderabad a lot more better what with beriyani, kulfi, prata and the works. I brought back some extra pounds as a remembrance of how good food kill your motivation to diet. The historical splendour of the place touched me in so many ways - the old forts, vibrance of culture, community struggle for justice. The city is ROMANTIC. Henry Martyn Institute, the place that I stayed was so calm and serene that "Built To Spill" or "The Futureheads" sounded a bit out of place. So, I did a lot of singing on my own, slow sentimental lullabies which I guess are worthy of review by NME or Pitchfork anytime..hehehe.

What did I learn from the trip. Infinity. Everything sort of spelled "NEW LESSON" or "OH, WOW! DISCOVERY!". And the trip to Hussain`s small bookstore in Hyderabad `s new city was awesome. the limited space of the store was power-packed with eccletic choice of genres and authors. I went out of the store Rs.3000 less but with a broad satisfying smile. From Hyderabad, I sort of travelled to Montreal when I listened to Montreal `s latest indie rock edition- Wolf Parade. I still could not get hold of the Cd. Andrew, the guy with "SUB-POP connection" are still waiting for the cd to be shipped to our shore. But, thanks to radio.blog, I can still stream some of their songs into my online jukebox. There `s a lot of comparison being made to the group with "Modest Mouse" and "Arcade Fire". But don't you think it is inevitable since Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse is the album's producer and Arlene Thomson ( WP `s drumer) used to drum for AF (not Akademia Fantasia, OK!). But these comparisons do not in any way jeopardize WP` s sounds and credibility, in fact, they come up with a strong debut that tops the list of this year `s debuts. How to describe their sound?- rich, haunting and the music has the tendency of sticking to your head for a long time. Some claim they lack creativity andis repeating Af and MM `s formula to success. Sure. reviewers will be reviewers. its the common people like us that matters. so I say there are two types of bands in the world. First-those who tried to blend sounds in the name of creativity and make it damn difficult for people on the streets to swallow and tried so hard to prove how 'revolutionary" their sounds are and second-those who are good at doing what the former bands had done. Those who get it right despite the fact that hundreds of bands "think" they `ve done it right. Those who polish the sound and take it a level up without being unoriginal or messy. WP falls in the second category.

So, from Hyderabad to Montreal, I experienced the old and new, the culture and the music, the history and attitude.. I absorb all these excitedly as I await what 2006 brings to me.

That means Franz Ferdinand in Bangkok!!!!!!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home