Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Janji Joni & Other Cinematic Ramblings....

"Janji Joni" directed by Joko Anwar - an urban adventure indeed. Lack of creativity leads me into borrowing JJ`s tagline but true to these words, JJ IS a pop cinematic potrayal of urban Indonesian. And what an adventure it is! Who would have thought that working as a film delivery man could be as interesting and as cool as Joni`s own daily experience? Semi-road movie with enough dose of villains and romance. Another gem from Joko Anwar, I believe!

Joko Anwar is part of Indonesia `s young generation of directors. He wrote "Arisan" which I get to watch in Bandung, a hillarious movie about the monthly gathering organized by a group of social ellite that ends up with lots of comical incidents and turbulences as well. That is what special about Joko Anwar, he picks up the stories of ordinary people (especialy those living in urban Indonesia) it could be a one day affair like "JJ", but present the stark reality of ordinary people `s life in the richness of cinematic glory, plus his popular cultural approach makes his film warmly received by the Indonesian young generation. So, that is the reason, I guess that Joni ( besides the Nicholas Saputra factor) being an ordinary character (similarly like our pirated cd vendor hero in "Sepet") is such an endearing depiction of a struggling young man in the middle of the city who discovered throughout his film delivery journey that honesty is not necessarily the best policy. A bit anti-heroic but nonetheless, realistically potrayed. I read somewhere, he also either write or direct a movie in 2003 called "Joni Be Brave" - also a one day affair story of a fresh uni grad`s experiences on his way to his job interview. I am trying to get hold of that movie so, anyone `s reading this and know where I can get a copy of the movie, give me a shout OK?

So, I say, go and watch the film. It is better than "Salon" and "Gol and Gincu" (personal view, jgn. marah). To me, this sort of films require a lot of in-depth understanding of what is actually the local culture of the mass, be it urban or not. Pop culture movies, despite the pop, arty, modern or hip impression it gaves are to me, the most fun and subtle cinematic introduction to one`s culture and lifestyle. Despite the branding, I always wish some of our local production will not take pop culture movies as simply box-office smasher but also as movies that tell OUR stories to the others and remind US of who we are and what we are capable of doing. I like Yasmin Ahmad`s popular tagline " I make stories for my parents to watch" because with such personal hope, she makes movies that everyone, not just her parents want to watch and appreciate.

I would like to end this cinematic rambling with just a point for us to ponder: When will our society start to appreciate small movies with a big heart as opposed to big budget movies that lack passion? Peter Jackson `s works as far as LOTR 1-3 and King Kong are concern, would negate my latter opinion but I guess other film makers who could not get the luxury of budget that Jackson gets should not whine for bigger budget if they could not get the "heart" of the their movie in the right place.

Like Yasmin Ahmad `s another meaningful quote: " We don't need bigger budgets, just bigger ideas".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home