Monday, June 26, 2006

Last But Not Least -Montserrat!

I know I said I won't blog until next July plus I told a friend I won't talk to him until next July, I know I said lotsa stuff, I know, dammit! But I can't stop myself from writing about this tiny Island which I think need some spotlight amidst giant soccers in the likes of Brazil, Germany and etc. Presenting to you, the small unnoticeable worst soccer team in the world - M-O-N-T-S-E-R-R-A-T !

What prompted me into writing about this small country was this National Geographic documentary about "The Other Final" in 2002, where Montserrat secured their last placing in the FIFA List after a 4-0 defeat to mighty Bhuttans. I watched it last night becauseI could not bring myself to watch the England-Equador match as I could not afford to get myself sicker than I am. (read: parties,kenduri,jamuan...you get the point!)

A country devastated by so many Act of God/s such as volcanic eruption, hurricanes and earthquake, it is a wonder how that country can come up with a soccer team as everybody fled for their lives during these disasters. Don't even start wondering about where or when they have their soccer practices, which multinational label endorse their jerseys, boots and the works. Anyone who had seen the match would agree with me that it was one hell of a funny match (The keeper, at one point of time, could not contain his emotion when he let an easy goal slipped that he laid on the field, as if he does not want to stand up and continue with the game-you, drama king!) But.... (drum roll please), a country that abandon all kinds of regrets, frustrations plus mockery just to make sure his country makes a mark on the FIFA List even if its at the foot of the list, deserves a standing ovation and "tabik spring" worldwide.

A display of friendship and sportmanship it was when a replica of the World Cup was shared by both teams in front of the loud cheering spectators who consist of veteran monks, farmers and hot Bhuttan teenagers.

We could laugh as loud as we want and invent merciless jokes about Montserrat until the next World Cup, but at least they could say 'We are at the bottom coz we are in a deep shit not because we play like shit!"

Go, Montserrat, go!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home