Tuesday, June 13, 2006

WORLD CUP FEVER!


~ After Thierry Henry, Lionel Menssi is another guy I`d love to watch on the field~

Its Day 3 World Cup. Everyone I know is getting the fever. It will be just damn insensitive of me to ignore this very exciting time of the year so, I allow myself to indulge as well.Hehehe... I am not an avid fan of soccer, never followed EPL, Liga Perdana or whatsoever. The only time I retrieve information regarding soccer is when Union Guy talks about Everton. Everton!!! The name itself could put me to sleep whats more their game. But World Cup is different. Its not about rich professional clubs. Teams like Togo, Iran, Trinidad-Tobago makes you forget about how small their countries are or whether they are in the middle of some pressing local conflict as they face the soccer giants gallantly. Which sport in the world could worry election candidates as much as the World Cup? Who would have thought there is more to Brazil than just its poetic style game? The last final - Brazil vs. Germany is like a clash of the North-South "polar opposites". This is the one time where any country, ric or poor, powerless or powerful on the global political stage , could beat each other based not on how many WMDs you own but how well you played on the field.

In 2002, my World Cup experience was a hazy experience with me transiting at Kl Sentral after commuting from Shah Alam to catch the LRT to Kerinchi. In between the rides, I tried my best to squeeze a game or two. Opting not to miss the live telecasts, I chose to watch the matches in Sentral, sitting cross-legged in front of the flat screen on Level 1, with other people who are back from work or transiting in Sentral. At first, the guards threw us his best annoyed looks but after some foreign tourists with large hats and bermudas joined us, they actually left us alone until the match ended. There are times when there was no one around to join me, so the guards (who at long last, gave in to this cross-legged "minah" on the floor) or the teenagers that looked after the stalls took their break in front of the flat screen with me. After 2-3 days, we became regular viewers in front of the flat screen and bonded well. I could asked these peeps to eye my favourite sitting space while I go downstairs and buy something from MacD. (That explains the extra kgs I gained during World Cup..hmmm)

This time around, I don't have to catch the matches in Sentral but directly from the couch at home. More comfy but lack the effects you experience watching the matches with a bunch of friendly strangers. This year, for the opening game- German -vs-Costa Rica, I watched it with my brother in Shah Alam and the second day alone at home. Union Guy has to attend a meeting in Cambodia and in the absence of that particular England die hard fan, I didn't enjoy England-Paraguay match that much since I couldn't insult Union Guy`s fave team without him around. Thank god he`s coming back tommorrow. Yay! Anyway, I fell asleep during first half but that paid off during Argentina-Ivory Coast match. God! I miss 2002! Its either back in Sentral like the old days or Lotus, Jln. Binjai. Anywhere with a bunch of friendly strangers and some close buddies.In short, my World Cup experience for the first 3 days were not that great since I don't count my friend, K `s attempt at inviting me to bet on matches as anything near exciting.

"Just RM10. C'mon, lets bet on Iran-Mexico, I`d say 2-1."
"Tak nak. I just wanna enjoy the match lar, K"
"Ur a chicken. u`re afraid that u`ll lose the bet",
"Yupe. That and the fact that I don't gamble',
"You `re such a bore, gee,"
"yeah, I know, good night K, enjoy the game,"

Favorite match for now will be Argentina -vs- Ivory Coast.
Visit the official site plus this interesting blog which also list other blogs based on competing countries.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gallivanter said...

2002 was memorable for me too. Maybe because Germany went to the finals. :-) I like your style of writing....keep it up!

5:22 PM  
Blogger GEE said...

hi daniel,
I noticed from ur blog that ur a German fan.Well, it was a gr8 opening for them but I really want Argentina in the finals..hehehe. hey, I enjoy ur writing too, Daniel, don't forget that! :)

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kak gee...sama ler kite..i pun sokong argentina..:)

6:08 PM  
Blogger GEE said...

hi ask!

Alamak, dah lah satu sekolah, kene sokong team yg sama ke? Akak memang bias terhadap team-team dari Amerika Latin dan Eropah Timur.hehehehe. Kalu nak kira, byk gak team nak sokong tuh. Above all that, what matters, is the art of the game that the teams demonstrated.That`s what I like to observe apart from studying closely the specific features of the players for cultural purposes. (yeah, right!) :)

8:12 AM  
Blogger Gallivanter said...

Yes, I don't mind Argentina winning the cup too. As long as it's not England! ;-)

Germany will be lucky to even qualify for the semi-finals, with their dodgy defending...but I still support them anyway...haha!

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home