Friday, July 14, 2006

THE HAPPY COUNTRY CALLED MALAYSIA!

Its Friday. Fabulous Friday. Last day of the week for me to slave myself for the sake of humanity. Like everyone else, of course. Perhaps, the fact that we have lotsa people getting excited and happy about weekends that makes Malaysia ranked 44 in the Happy Planet Index. Cool, eh?

How do you calculate happiness? This is the interesting part. When I checked here,

Life Satisfaction x Life expentancy
HPI= -----------------------------------------
Ecological Footprint

Or in short, "it represents the efficiency with which countries convert the earth’s finite resources into well-being experienced by their citizens".

So which country is the most happiest on earth? Its Vanuatu, dudes. The study also reveals that islands fare well above average. You could check out the reasons and what the study reveals at the website. But if I am an Islander, my pick will be Cyprus, I will definitely be a happy person. Nice sandy beaches, great weather, tall tanned hunks and all-year festive atmosphere. Which explains why people in Malta, Cyprus and Sri Lanka even, are happy. Another interesting thing is that, some of this countries are in the middle of conflicts or wars and yet, they are happy about their live. Yours truly suddenly shrink herself into a flea and felt really bad about all the dramas and theaterical antics she got herself into, just to understand the meaning of happiness. Pfff...

With Cuba also performing well as a happy country, the more reason for me to visit the country one day (Havana seemed to be the background location for most of my dreams) . See what Salsa and cigars do to those Cubans? They are a happy bunch of people despite being named as one of the Axis of Evil (Oh, if there is a CWGI or Country With Grudges Index, U.S will definitely top it) . But first, speaking of Havana, how to get over the RM10k+ air flight ticket? That`s an unhappy point!

Can life satisfaction be represented by judgement of feelings attained to materials? If it is, HPI showed that countries that top the index are countries with lower GDP. Can HPI projects how life satisfaction can also be a product of complacency? I am happy because I care less, maybe? I close my eyes to tyranny, sufferings of other and build this wall to isolate myself from the pains and complexities of problems in my society, therefore I am happy?

Anyway, I don't want to ruin the mood to celebrate this happy piece of news. Fun-spoilers like me will definitely pull the HPI down and I don't want to be blame for that. Well, not today. So, my happy people, enjoy your weekend!


5 Comments:

Blogger sharil said...

hmmmmmmm....cigars...

3:29 PM  
Blogger GEE said...

yes, Sharil...i kinda dig the idea that cigars make people happy lah! ;)
you should be the expert lah kan :)

3:54 PM  
Blogger sharil said...

A cigar a day keeps the bad feelings away

4:45 AM  
Blogger Fakyew said...

Bila rasa sedih hisap la rokok sebanyak mungkin. Yes!

9:14 PM  
Blogger GEE said...

tim,
pastu dapat peparu yang penuh tar. Yes! ;)

hope you are not sad that often. Dont want you to smoke that much!

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home