Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Both Worlds

It has been an extremely busy week for yours truly. Fatique should be defined as "gee rolling on the floor in exasperation as she is unable to do anything but let her tiredness drowns her" (chewah, that's vain in passive form). But it was fun as I accomplished series of events which I thought would suck big time.

First, there was the Central Training for Child Rights Trainers. Taking over my colleague job was made harder when the databank of the child right trainers `s profile and contacts was super archaic that I had to call the trainers to confirm their existence. Two or three of them have retired and most are A.W.O.Ls. However, before I can say "screw me!", the androgynus Luck paid me a visit and everything went smooth sailing. What did I learn from the training? I learned that people think training is a bank-in education and we, facilitators are here to spoon feed them. It will forever be about what the organizers can do next for US rather than what we can do together. This mentality unfortunately is very popular among the trainers. Second, not only religion can be dogmatic. Human Rights Training Modules can be dogmas too. A lot of us think there is only one way of doing things, its tested, proven to be workable hence, let's make it a a blue print. Wrong. In advocating for human rights, there is no such thing as one dress fits all. Again, a lot of trainers do not dare to take the risk of trying out new strategies and techniques.

Yesterday, I was privileged as I was afforded the opportunity to conduct a peace building workshop for 140 young members of the YMCA, coming from all over the Asia Pacific region. Upon seeing their t-shirt and jeans, I swore at my skirt, blouse and high heels. After some thoughts, I asked the participants' permission to take off my heels and went happily barefooted throughout the workshop.

I learned some lessons during that program too.

I guess I always thought youths are supposed to be pacifist ab initio. Surprisingly, a large number of the participants validify war as an evil must. Some quoted World War II as necessary before peace can exist. Many are still unable to articulate the effects of validifying war as a strategy to secure human rights, democracy and peace. The participants from United Kingdom, Canada and Australia were silent during the brainstorm. Of course. They might be reflecting on their own home countries that agreed with the current war against terrorism plus are world `s biggest weapon supplier and industry. If my concern with the older group was the fact that they are too comfortable in their "old shoes", the youths on the other hand, are full of bright fresh ideas. However, lack of experience and reality check as opposed to sweet idealism affects their perception and development of ideas.

I guess the most valuable lesson I learned from those two events is I could and should never forget my younger idealistic side. Eager to contribute ideas, a risk taker, creative and having fun doing things I loved the most. At the same time, I am beginning to sense my older adult self questioning my crazy ideas. A balance of both worlds are just the thing all social workers and human rigths advocate need now. Both worlds.




3 Comments:

Blogger GEE said...

well, thats an idea.
But I am very impatient.
A War will take a few years, then the superpowers will come in and want to be peace brokers. Rebuilding a destroyed country will be VERY costly.

But u mentioned Siti, Mawi and Ina, in that case, time is small matter! Those three names can turned anyone into violent warmongers.

12:50 PM  
Blogger GEE said...

mike,
bile can help me with the font setting for my ugly blog ni?

4:17 PM  
Blogger Fakyew said...

Biar je blog die buruk mikon hehe

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home