Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Me, the Toymaker...



One of the many reason why I love my job so much. I get to be a toymaker or board game designer too, sometimes. For this coming up training for people or organization working with/for children, a special segment requires them thinking out of the box and to come up with interesting learning kit or activities to promote human rights to the younger sector of the society.

I am coming up with a Monopoly + Snakes & Ladder Boardgame that aims to expose children aged 10 below to their rights. Some of the snakes and ladders are ready. Coming up with more, later.

Chaos rules in my office today but not without enough dose of FUN!

3 Comments:

Blogger anakabah said...

I'm lost here.

How do Snakes & Ladders help children in understanding basic human rights?

Toss the dice, you either climb up the ladder or slide down the snake. It's a game based on luck, and it does help the kids in maths I'd say, but human rights? The only human rights they'd learn about is the right to win. And in order for someone to win, someone must lose. Zero sum game all over again.

If I were you I'd create a game based on the Police & Thieves nursery rhyme. You see cops, you toss 'em with stuff and then run and hide. Haha.

:)

P/S: Don't take this seriously.

2:17 PM  
Blogger GEE said...

Hi Mike,

Finally ..... Internet sudah on balik?

Actually, tak payah confuse benda-benda camni. Its not how the game is played yang akan project human rights knowledge etc. Its the content. Its what you put on the board. Its easier to teach kids through games than have all those lectures. B-O-R-I-N-G. Perhaps they will go up the ladders by respecting differences and being non-discriminatory and slide down the snakes when they act violent or disrespect other people`s privacy...something like that.

On the zero sum game...good what? show them what they will be facing in 10 years or 15 years time. ;)

If you ask me, i see the pontential of human rights education in everything including that label on your beer bottle. :)

Nice to have you back.

5:11 PM  
Blogger GEE said...

P/S: By the way, have I ever take you seriously?

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home