Friday, September 08, 2006

Safety is no prank matter, beb!

Last nite, I watched Wakenabeb rerun on NT7. A carbon copy of "Punked", Kutcher`s MTV prank, show, for this local version, we have Adlin of AF fame as the leading prankster. It was Ziana Zain `s turn last nite to "dikenakan". I actually read a comment on this particular episode in The Sun by Shahnon Shah (I think) but I never get to watch it. Now I understand the angry tone of Shah`s article.

What can I say? It was far from being funny. You don't laugh at someone who is on the verge of hysteria because 2 guys are trying to abduct her. Ziana Zain, could be seen getting paled, almost in tears and could faint anytime as the 2 guys pretended to harass her and her manager and later on, blindfolded her and took her outside where her fan club members waited to throw a surprise birthday party for her. Some birthday party!

The joke was cruel and tasteless. I thought I saw Ziana fainted after Adlin revealed the prank but the scene was snipped. Giving someone a heart attack is not a joke. That actually spoil all the meaning of having fun and don't expect peeps to be a sport and take that as a laughing matter.

Why I am cranky over a "harmless" MTV-ish local show? Let me just tell you. In just this week, 3 of my female friends got robbed. Two got robbed in their own homes while another, faced the ordeal in Jalan Klang Lama. The ones who got robbed in their homes-one took place at 9 a.m in the morning, the other happened at 1.40 a.m.I am relieved to inform that none involved sexual assault and all have lodged police reports. But, the robbers who were armed with a knife, worked in a group of 3-4 people are yet to be identified and arrested. My chums were traumatized with their experiences and were having sleepless night since their terrible ordeal. One of them could not forget the greasy feel of one of the man`s hand on her shoulder....well, who can? In such predicament? I should understand their feelings. I was robbed too when I rented an apartment in Kerinchi. That is why my other half understand well why now, I always persuade him to put extra locks and even check for any hidden holes and exits in our new home.

Today, I read this in the newspaper. Scarrrrrry.

A friend commented that the sudden interest on crime stories and news by the media is a political ploy to divert the people`s attention from issues that are currently disreputing the government. It is to tighten people`s faith in the ruling regime. He added that crime has always take place in our society with/without the media exposure. Fine, I said. Even if that is true, I don't see how that can help overcome these "real" problems. The victims don't care about political ploys or strategy of diversion, they want protection and they want to be able to go to sleep at night in peace.

They still can't, unfortunately. So, do I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home